HOkay so I'm super excited about St. Patrick's Day this year which is not for a month but bare with me. Dan and I did an Ireland and Scotland trip this past October and I can't WAIT to share all the new delicious fooding we discovered (yes fooding is a word, according to me anyway). First up, a classic Irish maid cocktail!
Traditionally, this cocktail is just Irish whiskey, lemon juice, simple syrup, and some elderflower liqueur with a couple cucumber slices. There is a plethora of fantastic Irish whiskey out there so choose your fave. I went with Jameson because we actually went to the old distillery in Dublin, took a tour and did a tasting!
Us in Dublin👇🏻.
Free Jameson cocktails after the tasting 👇🏻!
Honestly we enjoyed that tour way more than then Guinness tour, mostly because it was actually a tour. You're put in a small tour group and led around the distillery by a guide. The Guinness one is more of a museum that you wander about self-guided until you end up at the top of the tower for your tasting. We learned a lot more at at the distillery but if you're ever in Dublin, definitely do both!
Anyhoo, that Irish maid cocktail. Here it goes.
Shake, pour, garnish with cucumber.
Done. Recipe below!
Quick and easy classic Irish whiskey beverage with elderflower liqueur, lemon juice and a cucumber garnish. Perfect for celebrating St. Patrick's Day!
- 2 ounces Irish Whiskey (I used Jameson)
- 1 ounce elderflower liqueur
- 2/3 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2/3 ounce simple syrup, (more or less depending on desired sweetness)
- English cucumber slices, for garnish
- Add a handful of ice to a cocktail shaker. Pour all ingredients (except the cucumber garnish) into the shaker. Cover and shake until the outside of the shaker frosts over.
- Strain into a whiskey glass over ice. Garnish with English cucumber slices.