Quick and easy restaurant quality Indian dish done in your pressure cooker in under an hour!
For the Marinade
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground tumeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 cup plain yogurt
For the Tikki Masala Sauce
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Pinch of cayenne, more as desired for spice level
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- Salt to taste
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped for garnish
- Cooked basmati rice for serving
- In a large bowl or ziploc bag, coat chicken in marinade ingredients. Marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour, up to over night.
- Turn a 6 quart instant pot on sauté and use the adjust button to turn it on high.
- Melt butter in the instant pot. Add onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until somewhat softened, stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and ginger and cook 1 minute, until fragrant, stirring frequently. Turn off saute setting.
- Pour in tomato sauce and lemon juice. Stir in chicken and marinade.
- Using the manual setting, turn the instant pot on high pressure for 10 minutes. Secure lid and turn vent to sealing.
- Once finished cooking, quick release the pressure*. Slowly pour in cream. Add salt and any more cayenne to taste.
- Serve immediately over rice with a cilantro garnish.
Make sure to follow all directions from your instant pot! Double check ways to depressurize it: quick release and natural release. Avoid putting your face over the instant pot when removing the lid or turning the steam vent from seal to vent.