A couple years ago, I wrote a post about my favorite Superfood Kale Salad complete with an Apple Cider Vinaigrette. Well, I recently went back to double check the apple cider vinaigrette recipe (autumn time and all) and after scrolling through, I decided it miiiight be time for some more attractive photos 😂! Same post, same delicious recipe, new photos coming up!
Kale. I know what you’re going to say. “Eww the texture.” Or “Eww the bitterness.” Or straight up “Kale is just not my thing.” But BEFORE you say any of those things, I have a recipe that might just convert you to the ever growing population of kale lovers. Ahem. May I present..Superfood Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette!!!
You know that really colorful salad at Fred Meyer that has kale mixed in with all the delicious looking things? Exactly. I pretty much stared at it through the counter really hard to figure out what was in it, and then made my own. Now if you’re still on the fence, maybe this will help: I make this recipe at work, for kids. A few picky eaters aside, they eat it! And if they don’t, the teachers eat the rest. In any case, there’s never any extra.
If that still doesn’t convince you, you can try “massaging” the kale. It sounds ridiculous I know but massaging the kale really helps with the texture and bitterness issues (something about breaking down the cellulose). Basically rub the leaves together before you toss it into the mixing bowl. I love kale, massaged or not, but I can tell you there is actually a noticeable difference. The leaves will become softer and darker once massaged. Just do me a favor. Try out this Superfood Kale Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette. It’s delicious; kids love it, adults love it, and I’m pretty sure you’ll love it. Go Kale!Print
For the Salad
- 1 large bunch kale, chopped
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame, thawed
- ¼ red onion, diced
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- ½ cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ cup sweetened, dried cranberries
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
For the Vinaigrette
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Make the vinaigrette: Whisk vinegar, olive oil, salt, and sugar together in a bowl until sugar is dissolved; set aside.
- Toss kale, edamame, tomatoes, red onion, carrot, blueberries, dried cranberries, nuts, and sunflower seeds together in a bowl.
- Pour about half the dressing over the mixture and toss to coat. If it looks a little dry, add more dressing.
- Chill in fridge for 10 minutes before serving.