Yup. It’s happening. It’s November. AKA best month ever AKA time to get going on some Thanksgiving recipes! I’m starting with….Cranberry Apple Sage Stuffing!!!
Quick story. Last year. Dan and I had the fam and a few friends over to our house and we made most of the Thanksgiving feast. I’m proud to say, I was pleased with almost all of it. I even dry brined the Turkey! Dad made our traditional Tortilla Soup appetizer and delicious Cranberry Daiquiri cocktails, and we had all the requisite Thanksgiving dishes: roasted turkey, green bean casserole, garlic mashed potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce, sweet potato casserole, Blue Cheese Chive Biscuits, and, of course, stuffing….This is where the “almost” hits. My stuffing was sad. It was drydrydry, and sad. So, I’ve literally been thinking about a different recipe all year long. Ergo, Cranberry Apple Sage Stuffing.
I’m so excited to tell you, that this stuffing is nothing like my stuffing from last year. Plenty of butter and chicken broth plus a couple eggs give this recipe all the moisture it needs! Also, my favorite part, is the absolute lack of boxed stuffing croutons. I use an unsliced, artisan sourdough bread loaf. I tear up the night before and let sit out over night to stale up. SO. MUCH. BETTER!
Packed with crispy apples, tart cranberries, fresh herbs, onions, celery, and of course butter, chicken broth, you’re going to LOVE this recipe. Just as easy as regular, out of the box stuffing, this Cranberry Apple Sage stuffing will really add some extra oomph to your Thanksgiving table this year!Print
- 9 cups day old sourdough bread, roughly diced (about 1 artisan loaf)
- 2 rubs celery, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 medium granny smith apple, diced
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cranberries
- 2 tablespoons fresh fresh sage, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, minced
- 1 tablespoon thyme, minced
- 1 tablespoon rosemary, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- Coarse salt, fresh ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350˚F. Grease a 9X13 baking dish.
- In a large skillet, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and celery, and cook until softened and onions start to become translucent, about 6-7 minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix together bread, apples, cranberries, cooked onion and celery, and fresh herbs.
- Add half of the chicken broth to the mixture and stir until combined.
- In a small bowl, beat together the eggs and the rest of the chicken broth. Pour into the bread mixture, and stir until completely combined.
- Add a couple pinches of salt and pepper, and stir until combined.
- Pour stuffing into prepared baking dish. Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and serve immediately.