Chilequiles! EASIEST dinner you will ever make, I promise you. One of the quickest too! Remember my vegetarian enchilada casserole? This Vegetarian Black Bean Chilaquiles Casserole is even easier and faster than that. I know right? Say what???
This recipe is a delicious way to use up leftover, stale corn tortillas/corn tortilla chips and is literally thrown together in 5 minutes. If you do use straight up tortillas, that’ll add only about 10 minutes, but still easy peeze! You’ll want give them a light fry first in a skillet (about 1/8 inch of a skillet filled with in canola oil over medium high heat, fry em’ up for 5 minutes or so until golden, remove to a paper towel) to make them nice and crispy.
Personally, I prefer to make this dish as easy as possible and use a bag of gorditos usually left over from chips and salsa the night before. I also like to make my chilequiles with black beans, but you can easily add some cooked, shredded chicken left over from your dinner roast to make it a little heartier for meat lovers.
Seriously, this recipe is a leftover’s dream! 5 minute prep, 15 minute bake, and voila! Add some cilantro, sour cream, queso fresco, and jalapeno for a fancy garnish and give this one a try!
- 1 bag corn tortilla chips (I used Gorditos), or about 8 stale corn tortillas, cut into wedges and lightly fried
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups tomatillo verde salsa, homemade or store bought
- 2 15 oz cans black beans, drained
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 cup monterey jack, shredded
- Fresh cilantro, queso fresco, sour cream, avocado jalapeno to garnish
- Preheat oven to 400. Grease a 9 X 13 casserole dish.
- Place the tortilla chips on the bottom of the pan, saving a handful for later.
- Sprinkle black beans and half the cheese and pour tomatillo salsa over the mixture.
- Sprinkle the rest of the chips and cheese on top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cheese is melted and starting to turn golden, tomatillo sauce is bubbling around the edges.
- Cool for 5 minutes.
- Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, queso fresco, avocado and jalapeno. Serve immediately.