Garlic and Parmesan Cheese are, in my opinion, one of the best pairings of all time. You’ve got garlic and parmesan bread, garlic and parmesan pasta, garlic and parmesan potatoes…I could go on. Personally, I have found one of the best conduits for this fine pairing is asparagus; fresh, healthy, and with a little bit of a crunch. Perfect for a Shaved Garlic Parmesan Asparagus recipe!
So about that garlic. For such a simple dish, the shaved garlic adds some oomph to the asparagus. Oomph you ask? Flavor and appearance. haved versus minced allows for less all over flavor to avoid overwhelming the dish as well as a much snazzier looking plate of veggies. Instead of little b its of browned garlic theres beautiful, thin slices of it making you look like a pro!
Best of all, this asparagus dish is a cinch to make. It barely takes 5 minutes from start to finish! After a brief prep on the woody ends of the asparagus, theres a quick toss in olive oil then top with those wonderfully large garlic shavings. Now a quick sprinkle with parmesan cheese and throw the asparagus pan in the oven. 10 minutes later, they are cooked to perfection. An easy, quick, and delicious side dish that’s healthy to boot!
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 1/2 cup fresh parmesan, shredded
- 4 cloves garlic, shaved
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400˚F.
- Trim off the woody ends of the asparagus, usually about 1/2 inch.
- In a large bowl, toss asparagus in the olive oil, salt and pepper and transfer to a baking sheet. Top with shaved garlic and parmesan cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately.